Monday, July 21, 2008

Cursing in your Home: Does it affect your children


So many times i hear parents tell me that they curse at home ,but there kids know better than to repeat what they hear. Does it really affect who your children grow up to be? It sure does!

I grew up in a home that used racial slurs and curse words in abundance. Although my parents wouldn't see it that way ,that is exactly how it was. By the time I was 15 I had a mouth like a" trucker". I spoke to my parents with that mouth. Those are the same parents that said i knew better. When i got pregnant with my first child I used those nine months to retrain my self not to curse anymore. I am no saint I still slip up . I never slip up in front of my children. Their idea of a curse word is STUPID. I do explain when we go out to other peoples homes that they might hear adult words that they never heard before. I tell them there is no reason to ever have to express themselves using those words. 
I had a friend that has the foulest mouth around her kids. I had to tell her she needed to watch her mouth around my kids. She really didn't like that i asked that. My kids , i will do anything to protect them. Anyway ,she would curse towards her children as well.I know first hand that is damaging to the child for life. I told her your kids are going to end up with a mouth like yours. She said" MY KIDS WOULD NEVER TALK LIKE THAT" . Funny a year later I was on a school trip with her youngest and I heard her say that she know bad words. I asked her does she say them. She said when her parents aren't around.

You teach your children behavior. Language is part of that. They look up to you for everything. They copy everything you do. They are going to repeat what you say weather you like it or not! I starting smoking cigarettes at 10 years old. I would take my parents butts and light them up when they were out. I wanted to look cool like them. Here I am at 34 and everyday I struggle not to smoke one.    

Children follow by example:What kind of example to you give?                


No comments: