Tuesday, July 1, 2008

God Parents , What does that mean?


What is the true meaning of a God parent? Have people lost sight of what it really means ? I am not sure myself. I thought it meant that you will teach and instill in the child religious beliefs. That is why most churches won't allow you to be a Godparent unless you are from the same faith.
When I had children I made my brother and his wife Godparents to them. But in the realm of life they are their legal guardians . It truly had nothing to do with religion. I guess because we don't practice one. I would just hope that when they spend time with them I know that they are instilling good morals.
Now it is my brother turn to be a parent . I asked him what religion is he raising his child. At the moment he is unsure. That is fine. I asked him what is his reasoning behind picking out a Godparent. I didn't want to take on the responsibility of that to his child if religion is involved. I do not have a not a religious family and don't want to take the responsibility to teach religion. I would love the opportunity to instill great morals and respect . So I told him if he was going to choose me it had to not be based on religion.
I also have a friend that is very dear to me. She had a little boy a year and a half ago. She cried to me telling me that she really wanted me to be her son's Godmother . The fact that her church wouldn't allow it was the reason behind it being someone else. Well , she hasn't been to church since. So didn't it really matter . She allowed a church that she doesn't attend to dictate what should be in her life. I always told her I never needed the title to be someone special in her family.
What is the reasoning behind who you pick? are Godparents important to you?

1 comment:

OliviaiB said...

My boys godmother is my best friend. I've known her since I was 14 years old. If anything were to happen to me and the hubby she is the person who would have our children and be their legal guardian. I didnt choose her because of a religious choice but because she was the best choice